25 June 2013

How I made a fabric covered embroidery hoop




As I mentioned in my last post, during a rain shower on Sunday afternoon, I nipped up to my sewing room to frame my latest embroidery, which is taken from my new pattern that I am currently working on.  I was really happy with the off white stitching against the the natural linen and the vintage mother of pearl buttons add such a lovely interest to the design.  I decided however that a plain wooden frame, just wouldn't do and something a little more special was called for.  After a little rummage in my fabrics, I pulled out some Tilda Stine, it is such a pretty fabric and it's small scale design was just what I was after.

This is what I did:



First off I cut my fabric pieces into 1" (2.5cm) wide strips, mine were aprox 10" long (25cm) which I found it easier to work with rather than one long strip.


To start, I put a small amount of glue on the inside edge of the hoop to secure my first strip in place and then started wrapping the fabric.




As I finished one strip, I trimmed it to ensure that the raw edge finished on the inside edge of the hoop.  This part of the hoop is not seen, once the embroidery is in place.


To start the next strip I added some more glue, again to the inside edge and then continued until the hoop was completely covered.   In total I used approx 5 1/2 strips of fabric to cover my 6" hoop.


To finish,  I trimmed off all the hanging threads and left the glue to dry before framing my embroidery.  I'll cover how I frame my embroideries in a tutorial another day.


As a final flourish, I tied on some short pieces of ribbon and lace and ta da.... all done!


I'm thrilled with the finished hoop and as we speak it is now taking pride of place in my hallway.  Right I'm off now to work on the full 'Be Kind and Be True' embroidery, but as always, if you have any questions, please do ask and I'll do my very best to help!

Share:

6 comments

  1. AnonymousJune 26, 2013

    Thanks for the helpful tutorial Sarah!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Paula, so glad you enjoyed it xo

      Delete
  2. This is a wonderful idea Sarah and a lovely clear tutorial.
    (I do get bored with the wooden hoops and there doesn't seem to be any alternatives)...gorgeous pics too!
    Happy Wednesday,
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Susan, photography is such a challenge, but one that I am really enjoying. I hope you're having a fun a productive week xo

      Delete
  3. Hello Sarah! What about a pattern that reads " more tea vicar" ???
    With an embroidered tea pot?
    Anything tea and cakes inspired and I and many other folk love! Very British!!
    Love your work, I've never embroidered, do your kits teach you how??!
    Many thanks, Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Rachel and thank you for visiting my blog!! What a fab idea, I think I know a facebook page with that name ;)! What is not to love....tea and cake!! Yes my embroidery pattens and kits all include simple stitch guides. I am also working my way through my favourite stitches here on my blog which include step by step photographs, you will find these under the tutorial tab on the right. A idea for a new stitcher would be to embroider the words only and then add buttons as decorations, like the one above. Thank you once again and I hope you will visit me often!! Sarah xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment, it really does make my day! If you have a question, please do ask away and I will do my very best to answer. Sarah xo

Update July 2020: Unfortunately, due to a large increase in spam and inappropriate comments, I have turned on 'Comment Moderation', so your comment will not appear immediately. My apologies for this!

© A Little Happy Place | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig