15 August 2016

Sweet Orchard Blog Hop

  
A little while ago, I had an exciting email from Sedef from Down Grapevine Lane, asking if I would like to join her and Riley Blake Designs on the Sweet Orchard Blog Hop. Having thought about it for about a nano second, I replied YES please, obviously trying to sound keen, but not over keen...you know, a girl needs to be cool!  Sweet Orchard is Sedef's first fabric collection for Riley Blake and it is so pretty, I know it is the start of many beautiful collections to come!  There are 21 fabrics in the collection, pretty florals, text prints, diagonal stripes and the most fabulous cheater prints., in a cheery pink, aqua, grey, red, green and yellow colour scheme.  I particularly love the cheater prints as they add so much more to the collection.  Obviously they can be used as is for your projects, add a bit of quilting and who would know that they're a cheater print ( I won't tell...pinky promise!)  but they also offer wonderful fussy cutting opportunities which is what I used them for.

So would you like to see what I made with the Fat Quarter bundle that was kindly sent to me..............

  

I knew straight away that I wanted to make a quilt, which eventually will be for Poppy.... once it's had a little holiday in the shop that is!  I wanted to use just one block and went for a Five Patch Shoo Fly. You know when people say say simple is best, on this occasion, they are so right!


I had planned on same colour blocks, but as soon as I started making all the half square triangles (HST) and playing with the layout, I just knew it had to be scrappy.  I used those fabulous cheater prints for all the centre squares and cornerstones.  

Here's a better picture so you can see the whole thing.  I'm so pleased with the outcome and I'll be putting together 'a little happy tutorial' soon so that you can make one too.


Once I had made the quilt, I had lots of HST triangles left over.... obviously I couldn't just leave these, so I grabbed a few and made some pinwheels, I just love pinwheels!

I used to these to make a generous size pouch.  (For the construction you can not really go wrong if you follow this tutorial by Anna at Noodlehead.)  It's big enough to hold my Mini Ipad, plus some sewing, so it will be great to grab and go, when I'm sewing on the go.  I couldn't resist making a label with another one of the squares from the cheater print, linen and some sweet little hand stitches.


I also added a little apple button to the zipper tab!

 All in all I'm super happy with my makes and for the opportunity to sew with Sedef's beautiful fabrics!  Thanks again for inviting me.  Sweet Orchard has just been released and for those of us the UK will be due in the next few weeks, (we have the full collection coming to the shop!).




The Sweet Orchard Blog Hop starts today and is running until the 26th August.  Today I am joined by Nadra from the blog Ellis and Higgs you should see what she's made, and tomorrow Jemima from Tied with a Ribbon and Anorina of Samelia's Mum, who will all be sharing there wonderful makes with Sedef's fabric, so be sure to take a peek!

See you again soon!


Share:

7 comments

  1. These are beautiful fabrics, and you have made some sweet projects with them I look forward to the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Shasta, I had so much fun sewing with the fabrics! xo

      Delete
  2. Such a sweet collection! I love what you have made!! I think you did perfect to make the blocks scrappy, they are just gorgeous!! Can't wait for your tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to see what you've made! I love all the simple but classic little details :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am trying to find the patterns for the Sweet Orchard quilt and bag.
    Where can I find them?
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment, it really does make my day! If you have a question, please do ask away and I will do my very best to answer. Sarah xo

Update July 2020: Unfortunately, due to a large increase in spam and inappropriate comments, I have turned on 'Comment Moderation', so your comment will not appear immediately. My apologies for this!

© A Little Happy Place | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig